Monday, July 31, 2006

This one's for Kathy

I have been really busy for a few days and didn't make time to post an entry. Also, I got a little discouraged when I tried to put a clip on my page and couldn't figure out how. It was the sweetest clip. It was of Izabell in the bathtub (no private parts showing of course) singing "I have a friend who loves me" at the top of her lungs. For those who do not know that song, it came from VBS and it is so cute. Especially the Spanish lyrics that never are the same when sung by a two year old.
But something did happen to me yesterday that gave me something to write about. On the way back home from an amazing service at church, I ran a 4-way stop sign. Not because I wasn't paying attention, but because the brakes in my husband's van decided not to work. He told me when I left that the brakes would not work if I didn't prepare to stop long ahead of time. The brakes are worn out and the van is loaded with band equipment, so it is pulling quite a bit of weight that needs extra effort to stop. So, as I put on the brakes, ( a little ahead of time) the van continues to go through the 4-way. The car that had the right-of-way was honking and making some not so happy faces at me. But it wasn't exactly what you would consider a close call. They were far enough away that they didn't even have to slow down much.
I learned two things from this incident. First, you don't need to get mad at someone when you don't have all of the facts. Sure it looked as though I was being inconsiderate and dangerous, but in reality, I was scared to death because I had lost control. Second, I was reminded how much I do not like losing control of a situation. I haven't had that feeling in a long time. While I do realize that God is, in fact, always in control, I still have control issues. I am sure that a lot of us do. Don't try to deny it. We may all have different varieties and severities of this disease, but we all have it. I will say though, that as my relationship with the Lord grows, my control issues dwindle little by little. I am sure that they will not totally vanish anytime soon, but I have time to work on it. Maybe. As I was reminded in church yesterday, any second could be my last. But that's okay, because I am ready.

3 comments:

KathyH said...

Well, it's about time, girlfriend!!

Dang, I would love to see that clip!!

I drive a lot with my job and it used to really bug me when people pulled out in front of me, but now I just think maybe they didn't judge well how fast I was going. I refuse to let anyone destroy my sense of peace. Even if they're idiots. Ha!

Hey, maybe tomorrow I'll blog about the speeding ticket I got in Ozark! (Tonight I'm starting a new book!)

Michelle said...

Ah yes, control is a mighty powerful thing, isn't it? I guess this whole thing begs the question: Were you really in control in the first place? I mean, if there are truly no accidents, then it's always by God's hand...not ours. Yep, crazy things can happen when God takes control.

Me said...

Hello, my name is Mark and I'm a controlaholic. That's one step down from the commonly known creature...CONTROL FREAK!! I am recovering though.