Monday, August 28, 2006

Stretching

I know a little stretching is good for us, but at some point you will eventually break. I almost reached that point yesterday. I was at church at 7:15 to sing in all three services. I am not griping about that. I love doing it, and I would get up and be there at 5:30 if that is what I was called to do. But yesterday, I was also scheduled to work in the nursery. I didn't think that it would be that big of a deal to get someone to work for me, since we have hundreds of servants in our church. Or do we?
I am slowly beginning to realize that it is the same dedicated people who work themselves ragged to get everything done. Dont get me wrong, I love my church. I really, really love my church. But yesterday was very discouraging for me. Do I draw the line and say, "No, more"? Or do I keep doing it because they need me? I realize that I don't need to be doing something that causes me to have hard feelings, (this was pointed out to me by a very wise friend), but when it comes to kids, I have never been able to say no. And if I do quit, that just means more work for the other dedicated workers who are just trying to help out.
I am asking my friends to please give any advise that may be helpful, because this is keeping me from sleeping. Also, please pray that God puts in my heart what He wants me to do, not what I want to do.

7 comments:

Spring said...

Laura,
You have a servant's heart, you will do the right thing. You know the drill, don't grow weary with doin' good! I know what you mean, though. For some reason, my nursery schedule NEVER lines up with my other serving schedules, and it is stressful to find a replacement. I actually had to pull off nursery for a couple months through the fall because I have so much going on. And I am riddled with guilt over it even though I'll plug right back in. I, too, cannot understand why there is such a need in the nursery when we have such a large church. But we do, and they are faithful to watch my kids anytime I need them, so I'll get right back in there, inconvenient or not.

laurajo said...

i am thinking that I may ask to be taken off of the schedule and be used as a sub. That way I could work without being tied to a scedule. I know that I would still be working as much as i do now, but at least I would be able to say no if I had to sing or do something else.

Spring said...

Hey, that's not a bad idea at all. You're right, you'll still put the time in, but it will be a more open. Let me know how that goes for you.

Michelle said...

It will go fine if that's what you need, just say the word. It's hard to find servants, however, Mary and I are always on "recruitment mode" so if you need a break, let me know. I will adjust the schedule and all will be well. OK? don't feel badly about it. I am constantly arranging my schedule to fit all I am called to do as well. It works out that when I am not doing nursery I am either playing or singing in choir. I am cool with that right now and when I am not, I will scream in agony and something will have to give. Music is my soul food - my only regret is that I can't be on a regular vocal team as well.

laurajo said...

Thank you,hippie chick, for being so understanding. If that will work for you and Mary, lets do it.
Love ya.

Anonymous said...

I am almost always available, there are the few moments, I'm not, but I really try to be there for, well, whatever. If you run into a situation again, and need someone to help, or sub, or whatever, my phone is always open, computer, person-to-person *gasp* or any other communication means. Love ya!!
How's school going this week?? Better???

KathyH said...

Laura,

I've got something for you! I'll leave it on the front counter at church tomorow night, if I don't see you there.

It's something you need, so be sure to pick it up!