Thursday, July 12, 2007

How Great Thou Art

Last year when I began blogging, one of my first entries told of this place. Half Bushel swimming hole down in the "holler". Sorghum Hollow Rd that is. It's beauty has been captured in a painting and many photos. I probably have enough photos of it to make a book. When you are there, you can't help but be in awe of God's marvelous works.
My dad told me a few months ago that it will soon be dammed up and used as a water source for the surrounding counties. A water treatment plant will be placed on the property in front Grandma's house. This place that is home to my family and a peaceful retreat for me will be a big lake that we cannot swim in.
Izabell and I went swimming there the other day and as we were leaving a couple of girls came to swim. I began wondering if this is going to be as devastating to anyone else. They can find another creek to swim in. But this place is home to me. This is where my heart and soul feel comforted. This place holds valuable family memories. I wanted to make it the same for my daughter.
My daughter just came to me as I finished the last sentence and saw this picture and said, "That's my creek. Can we go swimmin' at the creek?"
So, hate to cut this short, but I have to go get on my bathing suit.
Love y'all.














1 comment:

KathyH said...

That's so sad! There's a children's book about that. I'll bring it to you sometime so you can read it to Izabell.

I have great memories about a creek from my childhood. Life was so much simpler then. No electronics, just the wide outdoors and friends to play with.

I've been convicted this week that TV is a curse for children, but that's another subject.

Enjoy the creek many times while you can.